Thursday, April 28, 2011

Country Bumpkin

I have always been a country girl more than a city one.  A few thousand acres to myself out in the middle of our beautiful state would surely make me happy...though i might need a few modern conveniences on my compound.  A few days ago it really hit me that we live in the country.  Abbie and I got really excited about entering jams, jellies, breads and cakes into the Evergreen State Fair this September.  Really?  Who still does that?  I thought it was sweet little grandma types that enter little jars of jam covered sweetly with squares of gingham and tied with a bright red ribbon.  Nope...that's us too (well, minus the gingham and ribbon).  Abbie and I love to can.  We have the best time, laughing, making a mess, testing new recipes.  I look forward to it every year.  Blueberry season is probably our favorite.  There's just something peaceful about going to the fields and picking fresh berries then bringing them home to bake and can with.  Last year a rogue flock of blackbirds decimated the entire blueberry crop in the northwest.  We literally didn't get not one berry.  The year before, we could have picked hundreds of pounds.  Crossing our fingers this year that we are able to get some blueberries might not be enough...i think we might have to sit vigil at the farm with some sort of shotgun or maybe a big bird happy dog, to protect the tender little berries from being gobbled down by those dirty rotten birds. 

Reading through the rules and regs for the fair entries we discovered that we can actually enter 96 different items.  Hmmm...the wheels are turning!

No comments:

Post a Comment